Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cathedral of the Annunciation


On Sunday I was in Ottawa reviewing the Sung Mass at the Cathedral of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a parish of the Anglican Catholic Church of Canada. The ACCC is a part of the "Traditional Anglican Communion." Founded in the 1970s, it rejects:

*the ordination of women
*the Book of Alternative Services
*the remarriage of divorcees
*the blessing of same-sex unions

So, while I disagree with its entire raison d'être, I figured it would be interesting to check out. I was right. They put on a lovely Sung Mass, using Willan's Missa de Sancta Maria Magdalena and the Missa de Angelis. The cathedral is an intimate little space, but the ceremonial was handled well and the incense made it an even warmer, cozier setting. The ACCC's suffragan bishop for Central Canada assisted pontifically in choro. And the people were ridiculously friendly.

I chose to receive Holy Communion, according to the bishop's announcement that those who are "baptized and ready and desirous to be confirmed" may do so. Although confirmed by a woman, I figured I could access the sacrament on the basis of this rubric.

1 comment:

Fr. Aaron Orear said...

That cathedral's website lists a lot of clergy for such a small operation. So many of these splinter groups are clergy-heavy.