Friday, December 21, 2007

Gaudete Sunday

Below is my report on Gaudete Sunday, one of this blog's two patronal festivals, as posted on Ship of Fools. Sadly, due to the snow storm, I was unable to make it to the Church of St Mary Magdalene for their Solemn Evensong, Advent Carols, and Benediction (pdf warning, and the last two pages are strangely distorted). To add insult to injury, I won't be able to make it next month either because I will be at an Ordination Mass.

***

Gaudete Sunday at St Thomas's, Huron Street.

The Sacred Ministers were vested in what one of the priests of the parish described to me as "a violet set that passes for rose." It's too difficult to second-guess whether I would have caught on had I not been told this. The frontal and the amices of the other ministers of the sanctuary were purple, as were all but one of the stoles of the priests sitting in choir.

The Mass setting was Missa XI: Orbis Factor.

The choir sang the Introit ("Gaudete...") in Mode I during the entrance and there was quite a respectable quantity of smoke.

Sequence: "Creator of the starry height" (Conditor Alme Siderum). Creed to Merbecke (I believe this is an Advent/Lenten exception to the usual rule of De Angelis). Offertory hymn: "Lo! from the desert homes" (Crofts 136th). Motet: "Canite tuba" (Palestrina). Communion hymn: "The Lord will come and not be slow" (Old 107th). After Communion, "King of Love, O Christ, we crown thee" (Hermon, of course). The prelude and postlude (by Bach) were both entitled "Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland."

No comments: