Friday, December 21, 2007

My belated report on the Conception of Our Lady

Procession and High Mass at the Church of St Mary Magdalene. The Mass was Cum iubilo. Introit, Gradual, Alleluia, Offertory, and Communion verses from the traditional Roman Rite sung to Plainsong.

Hymns:
At the Procession: "Ye who own the faith of Jesus" (Den des Vaters sinn geboren)
Sequence: The Lord whom earth and sea and sky (Puer nobis nascitur)
Offertory: Sing we of the blessed Mother (Abbot's Leigh)
Advent Prose
Her Virgin eyes saw God incarnate born (Farley Castle)

The celebrant preached an interesting homily on S. Joseph.

Having made my Communion, I proceeded to Holy Family, King Street, one of the two Oratorian parishes. They had had a "Sung Latin Novus Ordo Mass" at the same time as SMM's do. I missed the Mass, the first lecture, and the Angelus. I got to participate in the Litany of Loreto and the second lecture. Then the MBS was exposed and we said the Rosary with meditations on the Joyful Mysteries and with hymns (though no Creed or Salve Regina).

I was a bit miffed that no texts were provided, nor were the hymns announced. I'm pretty sure the Magnificat (for the Visitation) and the Nunc Dimittis (for the Presentation/Purification) were sung, but I don't know the Latin texts by heart, and could only join in for the Gloria Patri. We did however sing "O come all ye faithful." Of that much I am certain.

Benediction brought further mystery hymns. The O Salutaris (in Latin) was sung to the tune of "New every morning is the love" (Melcombe, Oremus tells me). The Tantum Ergo (ditto) was sung to Pange Lingua. These were fortunately in the Adoremus Hymnals in the pews, along with "Holy God, we praise thy name" (Grosser Gott), but not, unfortunately, the psalm and antiphon (again, Latin) sung during the repose of the sacrament.

No comments: