Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Modern Profession of Catholic Faith for Private Devotion

complementary to the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed

[NB: I offer the following for comment and theological proofreading, as it were. -ed.]



I believe in one triune, coeternal God, who is both immanent and transcendent.

I believe that God has delivered God's people from fear and sin throughout history, by creating all that is out of nothing in an act of perfect sovereignty and love, by showing mercy when we rejected God, by delivering us from bondage, and ultimately by becoming one of us, and by dying and rising to defeat death. I believe that my own life reflects this pattern of ongoing deliverance. God is now present with us in the sending of the Holy Spirit, the proclamation of the Gospel, the Tradition of the Church, and the sacraments, especially and uniquely in the most holy sacrament of the altar. Eventually, God will return to establish a reign of perfect justice, love, and mercy.

I believe that all living are united with the communion of saints in the collective offering of prayer and praise to God. I trust that in the fulness of time I along with many, if not indeed all, shall be purged of my sin to dwell in the eternal repose of God's presence. At that time, all manner of thing shall be well.

No comments: